Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Eat in Berkeley: Comal


Tacos made with wood-grilled rock cod, spicy pickled cabbage, and avocado aioli


El Chavo made with blanco tequila, cacao, cardamom, lime, and bitters

Although I've visited Comal Next Door on Grand a few times now, my first and only visit to Comal, their original restaurant on Shattuck between Addison and University in Downtown Berkeley, was in mid-February. I tried it with my two food blogger friends: Moriah and Brenda.

Along with chips and guacamole to share, I ordered a drink to start: El Chavo made with blanco tequila, cacao, cardamom, lime, and bitters. I remember it was clearly made with care and was quite refreshing. For the main course, I had the Tacos made with wood-grilled rock cod, spicy pickled cabbage, and avocado aioli. They were also quite good. Although I don't remember all the specifics, I do remember thinking it was a great place to catch up with friends. 

The restaurant is much larger than I thought; it even has a patio in the back. I would definitely stop by for a cocktail or dinner in the future — the tamales, empanadas, and enchiladas in particular sound good.

Comal
2020 Shattuck Ave., Berkeley, CA 94704
Open: Sunday 5:30pm - 9pm, Monday - Wednesday 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Thursday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:30pm

Check out more posts from Berkeley.

Follow: Subscribe Bloglovin' | Facebook | InstagramPinterest | Twitter


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...