Monday, February 23, 2015

Eat in Berkeley: Tacubaya


Chilaquiles made with sautéed tortillas in guajillo chile sauce, scrambled eggs, onions, queso fresco, crema, and cilantro


Taco de Asada made with grilled Niman Ranch beef, salsa roja, onions, and cilantro


Tamal: shredded pork tamal with mole negro, steamed in cornhusks


Plantanos: fried plantains coated in canela and sugar, then topped with crema


Horchata: chilled, sweetened rice drink with almond and canela


If you're looking for delicious, well-priced food on Fourth Street, I'd highly recommend visiting Tacubaya. Located in Berkeley's adorable, yet not very affordable, shopping district, this restaurant is known for their traditional Mexican food. (They were even recommended in this year's Michelin Guide.)

When I visited this weekend, I tried the Chilaquiles, the Plantanos, and the Horchata, while my dining companions had the Taco de Asada and the Tamal. I've only ever had chilaquiles at Oakland's Grand Lake Kitchen, which I loved. I'll have to add Tacubaya's to my list of favorites. The tortilla chips were covered in the flavorful guajillo chile sauce perfectly and were paired with the scrambled eggs very well. The queso fresco and onions accentuated the dish's flavor even more. The Plantanos were everything I want in fried plantains: sweet in taste and soft in texture. The Horchata was much sweeter than I'm used to, but still quite delicious. My dining companions said they enjoyed their dishes as well, the steak taco being a big crowd-pleaser.

Next time I visit Tacubaya I'll try the Enchiladas or the Torta de Jamon breakfast sandwich with ham and a fried egg. Mmm fried eggs...

Tacubaya
Website | Facebook | TwitterYelp
1788 4th Street., Berkeley, CA 94710
Open: Monday - Friday 10 - 9, Saturday - Sunday 9 - 9

Check out more posts from Berkeley.

Follow Work It, Berk:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...