Friday, June 12, 2015

Work It, Bloggers: Karis of Baybonnet








Karis is wearing a dress from Urban Outfitters, thrifted sweater, Jeffrey Campbell boots, Fossil bag, thrifted larger necklace, and triangular necklace by House of Harlow via Rocksbox.

What’s your name? Where do you live? What do you do?
My name is Karis and I live in Berkeley. I’m a business student at UC Berkeley entering my 3rd year, and this summer I’m interning at thredUP in San Francisco.

How did you get into blogging?
I’ve been following fashion blogs since I was in 8th grade. I think that’s when fashion really became a big part of my life. Second semester of my freshman year at Cal I just kinda said “I think I’m finally going to do this now” and so Baybonnet was born!

How would you describe your style?
I like to say that my style is Woodstock ’69 meets Woodstock ’94 because it’s a combination of boho and grunge styles. I draw a lot of inspiration from the 90s grunge scene since both my dad and I are really into those bands (I even have a tattoo of a Pearl Jam song lyric so the music nerdiness is real). However I’m also into all things flowy and covered in lace, which is more of a bohemian thing I suppose. 

Do you have any style icons or inspirations?
I get most of my style inspiration from bloggers, Instagrammers, and YouTubers. My favorites are Jenn Im of clothesencounters, Michelle Ryu of @wickedtides, and Ashley Glorioso of purse 'n boots.
  
How has living in Dallas and studying in Berkeley influenced your style?
Dallas definitely has its own style that’s rather preppy and colorful. That’s really not me, and in high school I thought of myself as a bit of a rebel, so I think that I really explored a darker style then. I hate to say it but I think I reached peak fierceness my senior year of high school. I would wear these black lace maxi dresses, black creepers, velvet maroon pants, gory tee shirts, and a lot of other witchy stuff that earned me some weird looks from my classmates. I’ve definitely toned it down since then, and I think that living in Berkeley has inspired me to incorporate more bohemian pieces and neutral tones into my wardrobe. 

What are some of your favorite places to shop in Berkeley?
Jeremys in Elmwood is my weakness! They have amazing prices on great brands and have huge sales on the weekends pretty often. While I’m over there I also like to check out Slash denim. They have really great Levi’s products and I bought an awesome vintage jacket there. I’m also a big frequenter of the Buffalo Exchange on Telegraph and the Urban Outfitters on Bancroft.

What do you like the most about blogging?
To me, styling outfits is a creative outlet. I’m not an artist by any means, but I do consider styling outfits to go up on my blog as an art form of sorts for me to indulge in. It’s fun for me to write about my life too. I’m not sure how many people are interested in my day to day life, but it’s nice to write it down sometimes to look back at later. 

What have you learned from blogging?
Don’t worry if you have a huge following or not! If you enjoy blogging and putting out content but you and your 5 best friends are the only ones who see it- who cares? It’s a really good creative outlet, and if you're having fun, it's worth it.

What do you do when you’re not blogging?
When I’m not blogging I’m usually exploring San Francisco with my boyfriend, eating a pint of ice cream and watching weird YouTube videos with my awesome roommates, or Skyping with my family and friends back in Texas. I’m a very social person and most of my hobbies revolve around the people I love. Blogging is a great way for me to sit down and have some time to myself amidst all the chaos. 

What can we expect to see from you in the future?
Well, you’ll be seeing a brand new website for starters! My boyfriend is a web developer and is going to design me a brand new site. I think that’s one of the things my blog is really lacking – a nice layout. I’m also hoping to post more, but I say that way too much! I’m hoping that a new design will help keep me motivated to reach that goal. Finally, I’m thinking about making weekly roundup posts highlighting some of my favorite things every week just so I can have some better reoccurring content.  

You can follow Karis on her blog and Instagram.

Check out more posts from Work It, Bloggers and Berkeley.

Follow Work It, Berk:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...