Monday, June 15, 2015

Work It, Bloggers: Tiffany Wang










Tiffany is wearing a t by Alexander Wang shirt via Rand + Statler, Cos cardigan, Reformation shorts, Zara sandals, Givenchy bag, Janessa Leone hat, Ray-Ban sunglasses, rings from Etsy, and Larsson & Jennings watch.

What’s your name? Where do you live? What do you do?
My name is Tiffany Wang and I’m currently based in Nob Hill in San Francisco, CA.

I’m a former magazine editor-turned-insurance broker – a huge departure, I know, and I’m still trying to find that balance between my creative pursuits and my family business. My parents first established Wang Insurance over 35 years ago and have since grown it into a thriving business. My younger sister and I have now been tasked with expanding upon their success, and carving out a place for it in modern-day – and increasingly tech- and startup-crazed – San Francisco. It’s tricky juggling customer service, marketing, social media and sales, but we’re trying our best, and learning more about being entrepreneurs every day.

How did you get into blogging?
I first started blogging regularly when I was living in China and working as style editor of the Beijinger, an English-language magazine in Beijing. I actually find it far easier to write about other people and events than about myself and my clothes (I’m still trying to get more comfortable with that). But I didn’t have total freedom in the type of content I was producing, and that’s when I decided to launch my own blog.

How would you describe your style?
Pretty mutable depending on my mood – sometimes I channel my inner Californian, with flowy linen shirts, boyfriend jeans and sandals; other times I feel more New York, and don all-black get-ups, structured blazers and ankle boots. But one thing that’s consistent about my everyday attire is my commitment to being low-fuss. I tend to shop in the men’s section, and prefer looser, more comfortable fits.

How has living in Beijing and now San Francisco influenced your style?
There were far more occasions to dress up in Beijing – girls generally wore heels and dresses, even just for a night out. Not the case here in San Francisco… I think I’d be shunned for putting so much effort into going to a bar. And so my style has gradually become more insouciant and low-key, particularly when it comes to my footwear. It really doesn’t make much sense to be wearing heeled shoes in a city with so many hills. I now own a lot more sneakers and Birkenstock sandals, though of course San Francisco’s year-round autumnal weather also plays a role in that.

What are some of your favorite places to shop in Beijing and San Francisco? 
Gosh, so many in Beijing. I love Triple-Major (brilliant concept boutique disguised as a Chinese medicine shop), Dong Liang Studio (stunning space that stocks exclusively Chinese labels) and Brand New China (opened by media mogul aka China’s Oprah, Hung Huang, which also touts only wares by local designers). My favorite Chinese designer Vega Zaishi Wang’s beautiful studio is also open to the public, if you can find it (it’s tucked away in a quiet alleyway).

In San Francisco, I love Welcome Stranger, Rand + Statler and the General Store. To be honest, I could use some suggestions – I’m still getting into my shopping groove here since I just moved back a couple years ago.

In addition to blogging, you’ve reviewed over two hundred places on Yelp. What are some of your favorite places to eat in the Bay Area at the moment?
Terra Cotta Warrior for Chinese, Pho Huynh Hiep II for pho, Pancho Villa for burritos, Kokkari for Greek, Rosamunde for sausages, Flour + Water for Italian, 4505 Meats for burgers and The Progress (State Bird’s new restaurant) for a culinary adventure.

What do you do when you’re not blogging?
Checking out new bars and restaurants and hanging out with friends. I’m a huge extrovert, so I need my social time. When I’m not out and about, I’m probably watching the Food Network and HGTV, tweeting, reading about current events and/or Instagramming.

You can follow Tiffany on her blog, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.

Check out more posts from Work It, Bloggers and San Francisco.

Follow Work It, Berk:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...