Friday, December 28, 2012

Eat in Berkeley: Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen


Hush Puppies served with honey butter


Jambalaya with sauce piquant, roasted chicken, tasso ham, and andouille sausage


Buttermilk Fried Chicken served with ginger-vanilla sweet potato mash, tasso ham cream gravy, and Blue Lake green beans with Parmesan

I'm kind of in love with the South, even though the closest I've been is Florida. (I'm pretty sure that any southerner will tell you that Disney World and Miami Beach don't exactly count.) Although my concept of how those below the Mason-Dixon live is fueled mainly by what I've seen on Hart of Dixie and viral videos like the one below, I'm fairly certain that my love is still true. While these examples are rather contemporary, my interest started when I first developed the twang that still sticks with me today. (My mom teases me for adding more "e" in "milk" than a typically generic Californian accent should allow.)

Although I've begged my parents to join me on the three-part tour of the South I planned years ago, I'm certain that Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen is the closest Southern thing I will experience in the near future. Located in Berkeley's downtown on Shattuck and Kittredge, Angeline's serves Louisiana cuisine that's light enough to satisfy the health-obsessed California palate, while still giving homage to its hearty southern roots. The two times I've visited I tried a dish that is as delicious as it is fun to pronounce: jambalaya. The Creole staple features three types of meat in a bed of spicy rice. On my most recent trip, I also tried the Hush Puppies, which translates to balls of fried cornmeal in Californian, and buttermilk fried chicken that can easily give a certain North Oakland fried chicken sandwich shop a run for its money.

While the entrees are fairly priced considering all of the potential leftovers, Angeline's ambiance takes you to a world a few steps out of Berkeley while remaining right at its center.

Because everyone needs a little bit more Southern livin':


Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen
Website | Facebook | Yelp
2261 Shattuck Ave., Berkeley, CA 94704
Open: Monday 5:30 - 9, Tuesday - Thursday 11:30 - 9,
Friday - Saturday 11:30 - 10, Sunday 11:30 - 9

Check out more posts from Berkeley.

Follow Work It, Berk: 
Subscribe Facebook Twitter | Tumblr | Pinterest | BlogLovin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...