Monday, January 20, 2014

Eat in Berkeley: Sliver Pizzeria




Cremini mushrooms, green bell pepper, onions, mozzarella and French feta cheese, Italian parsley, and garlic olive oil

Longtime readers of the blog may remember when I first started "reviewing" restaurants and attempting "food photography" way back in September 2012. This was when I suggested dishes to try, thought taking photos of food on grass was A-OK, and even had a Things To Note section, which featured tidbits like "get extra napkins" and "there will be a line." My first ever review of The Cheese Board Collective in Berkeley's Gourmet Ghetto included all of these things. Almost a year and a half later, I'm still describing dishes as "delicious," "good," and "solid" and my photos actually make the food look, well, good. And I'm reviewing the worker-owned collective's step-sibling Sliver, a pizzeria started by Cheese Board alums.

Located on Center and Shattuck in downtown Berkeley, Sliver Pizzeria makes the same caliber of delicious pizza as its famous counterpart up the way. Instead of listening to live jazz while scarfing down some potato pizza on the median, at Sliver, you're in more of a sports bar atmosphere with a TV in every direction and a bustling crowd of Berkeley students and sports fans sharing a drink with close friends. They have a pretty similar model to Cheese Board's: they serve one type of greasy pizza made with fresh ingredients a day at the same prices of about $2.50/slice or $20/pizza. They also have a great mission statement: working with local farmers and vendors as well as anti-slavery organizations to create great pizza and a bigger impact. They also have live music to support local talent.

The few times I've visited, the pizza was always good and I've wondered why I don't come by more often. I'm wondering why I'm not there right now. (Or am I...?)

Sliver Pizzeria
2132 Center St., Berkeley, CA 94704
Open: Monday - Saturday 11:30 - 10

Check out more posts from Berkeley.

I just tried the Coconut Tart, Thin Sesame Cookies, and Red Velvet Cookie at Sheng Kee Bakery. Mm mmm!

Psst! Have you heard the January Playlist?

Follow Work It, Berk:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...