Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Eat in Oakland: Ramen Shop


Garlic Miso Ramen with corn, squash blossom butter, ground pork belly, shoyu egg, Tokyo negi, and spicy chili paste





I had a very polar experience at Ramen Shop, a hipster noodle house on College Avenue in the Rockridge part of Oakland. I had been wanting to visit this place ever since it opened up in January 2013. I finally took the plunge and visited a few weeks ago.

Although the wait was first estimated to be a manageable 25 minutes, it turned out to be 45 by the time we were seated. Needless to say, I was pretty hungry and ready to try some delicious ramen. I believe their menu changes daily, so on the night I stopped by, I had the Garlic Miso Ramen with corn, squash blossom butter, ground pork belly, shoyu egg, Tokyo negi, and spicy chili paste. It was very tasty. I'm no ramenhead, but I was very happy with this meal. The noodles were the perfect density, the broth had a great flavor with a good amount of spice, and the bowl was much larger than it seems.

Since I was trying to take photos with my camera, Sam White, one of the owners of the restaurant, introduced himself to me, asking if I were "official press." I'm clearly not, but it was nice to be thought of as such. (Power to my macro lens, I suppose.)

Since this place is so popular, I'd recommend getting here early or visiting on an off-night. Also, expect to pay much more than you would at a traditional ramen shop; each bowl is about $15 a pop. I think I would visit again, although not too frequently since it gets crowded and it's expensive. If only they took reservations...

Have you visited Ramen Shop? How was your experience?

Mm mmm... more mouth-watering photos from Ramen Shop right this way.

Ramen Shop
5812 College Ave., Oakland, CA 94618
Open: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 5 - 10:30, Friday 5 - 12am, Saturday 4 - 12am, Sunday 4 - 10:30

Check out more posts from Oakland.

Follow Work It, Berk:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...