Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Work It, Bloggers: Bethann of Bethanimalprint








Bethann is wearing a Bonmot blouse, Old Navy shorts, Steve Madden heels, and a Tory Burch purse.

What’s your name? Where do you live? What do you do? 
My name is Bethann, I live in Santa Monica with my husband and daughter, and I am a fashion and beauty strategist at YouTube.

How did you get into blogging?
In 2013 when I started a new job and found myself working with fashion bloggers. I wanted to better understand what they do and how they do it. I wanted to have the same challenges they did so I could find ways to overcome those challenges professionally. What surprised me, however, was that I LOVED doing it.

How would you describe your style?
That’s a tough question because it is always evolving! It will probably always be feminine and fairly casual.

Do you have any style icons or inspirations?
I’m definitely inspired by my daughter, Harlowe who at age 3 wears whatever the heck she wants. You can learn a lot from someone who wears a tutu almost everyday and doesn’t give a f*ck!  I’m inspired by a lots of different people and by fashion merchandising. I never liked J.Crew until Jenna Lyons took over as president in 2010. She is super inspiring as a businesswoman and I love her style. I get a lot of pieces at J.Crew when they have their huge sales and I have trouble walking by their windows without lingering. (That says a lot, because in the mid-2000’s I regularly lampooned J.Crew for its ill-fitting, overly preppy collection.)

How has living in the Bay Area and now Los Angeles influenced your style?
Dressing for the Bay Area was the first time in my life I ever had to chose to wear layers. A born and raised Arizonan, I lived life in sandals and sundresses, which really don’t get much use in SF. It was SF that got me heavy into boots, scarves, chunky sweaters and jackets.

I don’t know that I’ve lived in LA long enough to be aware of how it influences me, but I can say moving here while pregnant means tunics and muumuus are going to be a closet staple this summer! I don’t think my humble boot collection amassed in SF will get as much use here. Maybe it’s time to get into flatforms!? I hope my husband doesn’t read this - he hates those shoes.

What do you like the most about blogging?
Hands down, the friends that I have made. Blogging gives you a built in real-life and online network. Once I found myself alone in NY for a night and ended up having dinner with another fashion blogger there that I met online. I was in a forum and I just asked if anyone wanted to meet up and surprisingly a few people said yes! It’s like a trustworthy Tinder for friends.

What have you learned from blogging?
I can really go on-and-on about learnings. I had no idea what I was doing when I started. I didn’t think I’d still be at in 2+ years later, so pre-launch research was negligible. Since then I’ve learned more about running a blog as a business and building a brand effectively.

How has blogging changed since you started two years ago?
Fashion bloggers were rarely doing videos 2 years ago and now all the best blogs have great video. Brands and readers alike request them and it’s a great way to add dimension to your brand.

In addition to blogging about fashion, you also cover fitness, beauty, food, home decor, and travel. What do you enjoy the most writing about these topics?
While I love fashion, most days of the week I’m not dressed to kill. I’m a working mom, building a home with my family of 3 (soon to be 4) and I love to write about home decor, design and our travels. A lot of the time, that is probably more inspiring than what I am wearing! But more than anything, I think writing about fitness is my jam. I’m a sad panda if I don’t get 2-3 workouts per week.

You have a great series called Wonder Woman Wednesday, where you interview interesting style bloggers and businesswomen. Who would you like to interview if you had the chance?
Oh man, Jenna Lyons, Marissa Mayer and Michelle Obama!

What do you do when you’re not blogging?
I work at YouTube and I spend as much time as I can with my husband and daughter. We like to go to the beach and hangout at the Brentwood Farmers Market or The Brentwood Country Mart where I’m known to linger around the shops. My favorite is the Louboutin store where I awkwardly stare at shoes that I will likely never buy. I’m a Pisces which can make me a bit of a dreamer!

What can we expect to see from you in the future?
I’ll be sharing more content on my channel so stick with me while I figure out how to produce videos for you! 

You can follow Bethann on her blog, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Instagram, and YouTube.

Check out more posts from Work It, Bloggers and Los Angeles.

Follow Work It, Berk:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...