Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Eat in Portland: Voodoo Doughnut


Dirt doughnut doughnut: a raised yeast doughnut with vanilla frosting and Oreos


Chocolate coconut doughnut: a chocolate cake doughnut with chocolate frosting and shredded coconut

Last week I spent some time exploring Portland, Oregon with my mom. When I asked my friends what to see in Portland before leaving for my trip, Voodoo Doughnut was one of the most highly recommended places to visit. We stopped by their original location on SW 3rd Avenue near W Burnside Street in Southwest Portland. 

After waiting in line for about ten minutes, we ordered two donuts while we were there: the "dirt doughnut doughnut" and the chocolate coconut doughnut. The former is a raised yeast donut with vanilla frosting and Oreos. It was unlike any raised donut I've had before. Usually, I'm not a fan of raised donuts and I prefer cake donuts exclusively. I'll make a huge exception for Voodoo's; it's that good. Their raised yeast donut is an ideal base for the dozens of crazy toppings it will hold. The frosting and the Oreos were also not as overly sweet as expected. They've perfected the balance between too sweet and not sweet enough. The chocolate coconut donut was equally as good. They use Devil's food cake for the cake donut base and freshly shredded coconut on top. If you love chocolate and coconut, this donut is for you.

After visiting for myself, it's not surprising why Voodoo Doughnut is so popular. They have a wide selection of cleverly titled flavors at low prices. It's not uncommon to wait in a line around the block. Fortunately, they have another location aptly named Voodoo Doughnut Too that I've heard rarely has a line. Also remember to bring cash as that's all they accept.

If you've visited Voodoo Doughnut, what do you recommend trying?

Voodoo Doughnut
22 SW 3rd Ave., Portland, OR 97204
Open: 24 hours

Check out more posts from Portland.

Follow Work It, Berk:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...