Monday, May 21, 2018

Eat in Oakland: Nyum Bai


Kuy Teav Phnom Penh: rice noodle soup with minced pork and shrimp in 7-hour pork broth, topped with herbs and crispy garlic





I visited Nyum Bai, a hip Cambodian restaurant located on E. 12th Street steps away from the Fruitvale BART station, for the second time last week.

I ordered the dish I had last time: Kuy Teav Phnom Penh, which is a rice noodle soup made with minced pork and shrimp in 7-hour pork broth, topped with herbs and crispy garlic. Like before, I ate (& drank) every last drop. I've never had Cambodian food before, but this soup reminded me of a sweet pho. It has the healthy, fresh ingredients pho is known for -- rice noodles, sprouts, cilantro, and a clear broth -- with a nice sweet taste throughout. I really liked the minced pork and shrimp as well, which really rounded out this classic comfort dish.

My friends have also tried and enjoyed some of their other dishes, like the Ginger Fried Chicken, Naim Chien Banla (fried veggie eggrolls), and Kuy Teav Cha (stir-fried rice noodles topped with a fried egg). The next time I stop by I'd be happy to chose from one of these dishes, or honestly, anything else on the menu since it's all quite good.

Besides the delicious food, Nyum Bai has a sleek interior of complementary light pink and blue accents any Millennial would appreciate.

If you've visited Nyum Bai recently, what do you recommend trying?

Nyum Bai
3340 E. 12th St., Suite 11, Oakland, CA 94601
Open: Wednesday - Sunday 11 - 2:30 & 5 - 8:30

Check out more posts from Oakland.

Follow: Subscribe Bloglovin' | Facebook | InstagramPinterest | Twitter


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...