Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Work It, Bloggers: Chandamheer of pancakeSTACKER








Chandamheer is wearing an Ann Taylor top, Zara shorts, H&M shoes, RVCA jacket, Margaret Elizabeth necklace, and SEE sunglasses.

What’s your name? Where do you live? What do you do? 
Hi, there! I'm Chanda from the blog, pancakeSTACKER. I live in San Francisco, but I'm not going to tell you which neighborhood, because I get judged for that, ha. I work for a PR / digital media agency, where I handle social strategies, digital marketing campaigns, influencer relations, and all that good stuff for brands.

How did you get into blogging? 
I started blogging way back when in the yonder years of Xanga. Back then (high school) my blog was my online diary. When I hit college, it turned into a home decor (or dorm decor?) sounding board. Then when I graduated college in 2010, pancakeSTACKER came about and became the space where I explored my passion for food and fashion. I've always loved writing and creating, so blogging has always been kind of second nature for me. It's crazy to look back and see how far it's all come.

How would you describe your style? 
As a "fashion" blogger, I get this question a lot. I never have a good answer for it, which makes me question if the term "fashion blogger" really describes me. But, since you asked, I guess you could say my style is relatable, casual, and comfortable. I just wear what I like and when it works out, I consider that a win, ha.

How has living in San Francisco influenced your style? 
I used to dress up a lot back when I was in college and lived in LA. People in SF tend to dress down a bit more. So, wearing heels around town isn't really that practical. Don't get me wrong, though - I still own countless amounts of heels, but my sneaker and boot game has definitely gone up a notch or two. LA was easy - it was warm, flat and "glamorous" to some extent. San Francisco is temperamental, hilly, but beautiful in its own way. I have way more jackets and pairs of pants than I ever did before, and I like to think that I've mastered the art of casual chic.

What do you like the most about blogging? 
I love that I have been able to meet and connect with so many different people. The readers, bloggers, the photographers, the brands - all the people, really. I've been fortunate enough to have worked with a range of creative souls.

What have you learned from blogging? 
Ah, a lot. It's been a wild ride in the path to discovering myself - is that too deep? Seriously, though. I started my blog right after graduating college as an attempt to figure it all out. Five years later and I'm still doing that. It's been a constant discovery of my own personal style, my likes, dislikes, etc. Blogging helped me figure out how to turn my passion into a career - I owe so much of my professional career path to my blog.

How has blogging changed since you started five years ago? 
When I started blogging, it was a genuine community. Not saying that it isn't anymore, but I've seen some of that community dissolve with the rise of monetization. I'm very supportive and happy for those who have been able to make a full time career out of blogging - it's a really powerful example of social influence. And, I'd be calling the pot black if I didn't acknowledge that I've been able to reap some of the benefits of that particular change in blogging. However, I do miss when blogging was more about the genuine expression of creativity without the influence of monetary gain. As someone who works in the space full time, I obviously find it very fascinating, but I sometimes have a hard time relating with the blogs I once used to love. It's really a catch-22. Of course, I don't want to sound at all ungrateful for the countless opportunities that I've been given thanks to blogging, so hopefully it doesn't come across in that way. I guess to sum it up, the rise of blogging as a business has been both a good and bad thing. I, for one, can't wait to see where it goes next...

What can we expect to see from you in the future? 
Perhaps the toughest question in the bunch. I've been "pancake" for five years and while I love my little space on the web, I've been itching to figure out what's next. Because so much of blogging is filtered, I'm actually hoping to bring mine back to its roots... à la my Xanga days. I still want to show off the pretty pictures, but I think I'm interested in the happy medium between "journaling" and curated content. I don't know if any of that makes sense. Let's just say I'm redefining pancakeSTACKER and continuing to "figure it all out." How's that? 

You can follow Chandamheer on her blog, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.

Check out more posts from Work It, Bloggers and San Francisco.

Follow Work It, Berk:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...