Friday, May 22, 2015

Work It, Bloggers: Christopher of Unbearably Stylish








Christopher is wearing a Levi's shirt, pants, and boots, American Rag jacket, tie from ties.com, and thrifted belt.

What’s your name? 
My name is Christopher Michael Gutierrez, but in the blogging world I go by Christopher Michael.

What do you do?
I am a student at the University of California, Berkeley and in my spare time I thoroughly enjoy fashion blogging.

How did you get into blogging?
I got started during the summer of 2014. My girlfriend, Jennifer Wang of the blog Art in Our Blood, was the person who encouraged and supported me to step behind the camera lens. She and her younger sister Michelle were a huge help in the process. They were also very helpful in the areas of photography, styling, social media, and blog design.

How would you describe your style?
I would say that my style would be classified as classy and dapper. The typical outfit includes a blazer, a button-up shirt, a tie, some jeans or dress pants. However, I usually wear casual clothing to school when I am not given enough time to prepare an outfit the day before.

Do you have any style icons or inspirations?
For menswear fashion inspiration I turn to the gurus of Instagram: Marcel Floruss from One Dapper Street, Steven Onoja, and Denny Balmaceda from Look Rich, Shop Cheap.

You’ve mentioned that your style is influenced by various types of media, such as novels, movies, television shows, and short stories. What’s your latest source of inspiration? Moreover, how do you translate these works into an outfit?
My latest source of inspiration was The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I usually pay close attention to the setting in a story or work of fiction. For example, in The Great Gatsby, there is a scene in the garden where Jay Gatsby meets Nick Carraway. I was so inspired and marveled at the description of the passage that I felt that I had to locate a place on the Berkeley campus with similar structure. Additionally, I also take note of the items of clothing that these characters wear and how they groom themselves. I do my best to blend in those features with my own personal style.

What are some of your favorite places to shop in the East Bay?
Two of my favorite places to shop in the East Bay are Eco Thrift on Mission Blvd. and the Goodwill on Hesperian Boulevard. Those two are my go-to thrift shops. The prices are perfect and I always find something of great quality.

What do you like the most about blogging?
I like meeting new people and being able to inspire men and women to dress in formal attire. I also really like experimenting with new combinations and patterns.

What have you learned from blogging?
The blogging community is a highly competitive world.  It should not be a hobby taken too seriously. I learned that it is also very time-consuming, but in the long run it also is a powerful networking tool.

Also, standing behind the camera not knowing how your audience will react or react at all is nerve-wracking the first couple of posts, but soon you become exceedingly confident in yourself and the clothes you wear.

What can we expect to see from you in the future?
For this summer, you can expect to see more relaxed looks on my blog, e.g. hopefully not as many outfits with ties. Perhaps I'll use a few cooler colors and incorporate graphic tees in my outfits.

You can follow Christopher on his blog, Facebook, and Instagram.

Check out more posts from Work It, Bloggers and Berkeley.

Follow Work It, Berk:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...