Friday, February 14, 2014

Eat in Oakland: Grand Lake Kitchen


Savory French Toast made with rye bread, two poached eggs, wild mushrooms, Parmesan, arugula, herb oil, and prosciutto di Parma






Chilaquiles made with tortilla chips, salsa roja, black beans, two eggs sunny, avocado, queso fresco, sour cream, and pickled red onions





I think I found my new brunch spot. Located right near Lake Merritt on Grand at El Embarcadero, Grand Lake Kitchen is a hip restaurant and deli that serves tasty New American cuisine any brunch fiend would enjoy. This was my first time visiting and I can confirm that my love affair has begun. Their brunch menu has about eight entrees on it, all of which I'd like to try at some point. After using process of elimination to figure of which item was today's lucky winner while making sure to get something different from my brunch buddy, I ordered the chilaquiles.

I've never had chilaquiles before, but since reading the list of ingredients made me salivate a little, I knew it was a good pick. The chilaquiles were made of tortilla chips covered in a tasty salsa and then topped with everything myself and the internet daydream about, namely sunny-side up eggs, slices of avocado, and green onions. It was also served with pickled red onions that were made in-house. From what I can tell from the display case that's a part of the counter I was eating on, they make a variety of pickled vegetables, including beets, carrots, onions, and well, pickles. Needless to say, this was the most delicious breakfast nachos-type dish I've had.

I also tried a bit of the savory French toast, which was French toast minus the syrup and plus prosciutto, poached eggs, arugula, and Parmesan. It was as good as it sounds. I would encourage someone to try it which some maple syrup to see if that adds to the experience.

All in all, I would recommend trying Grand Lake Kitchen ASAP. If you're visiting on the weekend, come early as it seems pretty popular and they only have about twenty seats in total. They do have outdoor seating, so maybe come in on a sunny day and enjoy a view of the lake (somewhat) nearby. Their very nice and helpful employees make waiting not so bad. If there is a line, stop by Walden Pond Books just up the way.

Grand Lake Kitchen
576 Grand Ave., Oakland, CA 94610
Open: Daily 9am - 10pm

Check out more posts from Oakland.

Psst! Have you heard the February Playlist?

Follow Work It, Berk:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...