Monday, May 11, 2015

Work It, Bloggers: Chelsea Pearl






Chelsea is wearing a Forever 21 top and blazer, pants from Macy's, Steven by Steve Madden boots, necklace from Rocksbox, Proenza Schouler bag, and Stella McCartney sunglasses.

What’s your name? Where do you live? What do you do?
I'm Chelsea; a community manager at We Heart It by day, and a style blogger/vlogger by night.

How did you get into blogging?
It's quite a long story, but in short the internet has always been a passion of mine. I've been building websites since 2001 (self taught HTML & CSS), and at a young age I created a leading doll and pixel art website. It earned around 5,000 pageviews per month... that was a lot for a 9th grader! I later transitioned from pixel art to coding, when I was the only girl in my high school's C++ and JAVA courses. Honestly, coding wasn't really my cup of tea, so I found myself back in graphic design courses and that's about when I had a short stint on LiveJournal. After high school I took a break from blogging, but found myself getting sucked into social media, AKA web 2.0 (Facebook, Twitter, Posterous, We Heart It, Tumblr, etc). Finally after college I started writing about marketing and personal branding on my blog, hellaPR. Since I was working in tech and CPG PR my first few years after college, I needed a creative outlet that was different enough from my day job. Style blogging, and vlogging, was what I finally fell into.

How would you describe your style?
Ballin' on a budget. Because the rent is too damn high and I like travel too much to be sinking all of my disposable income in clothes. On any given day you can find me wearing a Forever 21 t-shirt paired with a designer handbag, or vice versa.

Do you have any style icons or inspirations?
Amal Clooney has quickly become my new favorite style icon. Not only for her style though -- I think she's a great role model of our time. She can dress femininely and still be a powerful, well respected figure. She's smart, glamorous, and classy; she has it all.

How has living in San Francisco influenced your style?
Comfort trumps all when you're running around the city and its many hills. This is also a city where you can be whoever you want to be. Additionally, I'm heavily immersed in startup culture where there is no dress code and you're empowered to work how you work best (for example, I have a standing desk). Some days I wear a sweatshirt, sneakers, and top knot to work, while other days I'll wear a dress, heels, and a blazer. However most of my outfit creativity comes out on the weekend and it's what I primarily capture in my blog posts.

What do you like the most about blogging?
As cliché as it sounds, it's all about the people. And I don't just mean the business connections. I've forged real friendships and I've been told I've impacted peoples lives positively. It doesn't get more fulfilling than that!

What have you learned from blogging?
It's OK to say 'no' to projects. When it rains, it pours, and I think everyone stresses over their work-life-blog balance at some point. When declining an opportunity, don't just say no; offer up to the client/brand the option of extending it to a blogger colleague who may be a better fit or is readily available. Then it's win-win situation for everyone involved. Treat blogging like a professional job and never burn any bridges.

How has blogging changed since you started two years ago?
While I've been blogging at my current domain since 2012, I started on LiveJournal in 2004. There are obviously way more bloggers today than back then, so I think bloggers need to work even harder to set themselves apart.

What do you do when you’re not blogging?
Brunching, hitting the shooting range, and gallivanting in wine country is what you'll usually find me doing outside of blogging on the weekend. Travel is another huge passion of mine.

What can we expect to see from you in the future?
Videos, videos, videos. I'm not just a typical blogger who says they want to do video; I actually regularly do videos every single week. This year I want to film some videos in French and expand on my travel series

You can follow Chelsea on her blog, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.

Check out more posts from Work It, Bloggers and San Francisco.

Follow Work It, Berk:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...