Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Work It, Bloggers: Julianne of The Wink










Julianne is wearing an H&M shirt and pants, Forever 21 hat, sunglasses from Amazon, Salt Water sandals, Sephora lipstick in "It Girl," Butter London nail polish in "Primrose Hill Picnic," and a Kate Spade Saturday bag.

What’s your name? Where do you live? What do you do? 
Hi! I’m Julianne and I live in Walnut Creek, CA with my boyfriend. I currently work at a management consulting firm but I’m trying to break into the social media freelancing world.

How would you describe your blog? What kinds of things would readers expect to see?
The Wink is a beauty, style, and lifestyle site for the modern woman. I offer tips and tricks to help women look and feel their best. I enjoy reading blogs where I learn new things, so it is my hope that when a reader visits my blog, they leave knowing something new and useful for their own lives.

How did you get into blogging?
I started The Wink in the summer of 2013 as a way to document my move to the Bay Area and keep in touch with friends and family back home. I’d been an avid blog reader for a few years and had always wanted to start my own blog, but was afraid to take the plunge. At my last sendoff/going away get-together, my closest girlfriends from home encouraged me to start one (because I was always spouting off my random beauty and style tips) – and the rest is history!

How would you describe your style?
My style is casual-chic. I like non-fussy, comfortable pieces that I can live in. I love incorporating colors, patterns, and textures into every outfit, and my jewelry, if any, is very minimal.

Who are some of your favorite bloggers at the moment?
Alix of I Covet Thee, Amanda of Hammer and Heels, Amanda of Advice from a Twenty Something, and (forever & always) Naomi of Love Taza.

How has living in Maine and now the Bay Area influenced your style?
Back home in Maine, I always felt overdressed (the Maine uniform: Bean boots, flannel shirt, Carhartt jacket). Living in SF, I feel more comfortable expressing my style. The Bay Area has not changed the types of pieces that I like to wear, per se – but I do get to wear my entire wardrobe year-round!

What are some of your favorite places to shop in the Bay Area?
The thrifting in Berkeley is on point – Goodwill, Savers, and Out of the Closet are my top three. I also really love Pretty Penny in Oakland for high-quality, affordable vintage pieces. My wardrobe is a good mix of thrifted pieces, stuff I buy online, and the occasional vintage treasure thrown in for good measure.

You blog about a range of topics, such as beauty, style, food, and home decor. What do you enjoy the most writing about these topics?
I have a lot of nuggets of wisdom about these topics that I like to share with my readers. I also try a lot of new products and pieces, and my friends and readers turn to me because they know I will tell the truth. I’m not out to be the biggest blogger, but if I can help someone find their perfect shade of lipstick, I’ve accomplished something.

What do you like the most about blogging?
The community of bloggers in SF is awesome. I’ve met so many wonderful people and been to so many fun events through this little ol’ blog of mine.

What can we expect to see from you in the future?
I want to start incorporating videos and other forms of media into my blog. Also, be on the lookout for new brand collaborations and The Wink’s 2015 facelift (in the works!).

You can follow Julianne on her blog, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.

Check out more posts from Work It, Bloggers and Berkeley.

Follow Work It, Berk:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...