Monday, March 6, 2023

Eat in Oakland: Spices 3


Dry Braised Green Beans


Scallion Pancake


Shanghai Style Stir-Fried Fat Noodles with Pork


Crispy Duck

Located on 12th between Webster and Franklin in Oakland Chinatown, Spices 3 is a low-key restaurant that serves numbingly spicy Sichuan, Taiwanese, and Chinese food. I've visited a handful of times over the years; these photos are from a visit with friends in late September.

I've often ordered a combination of the above: Dry Braised Green Beans, Scallion Pancakes, Shanghai Style Stir-Fried Fat Noodles with Pork, and Crispy Duck. The green beans are a must-order; they're just the right amount of spicy and tender. The Scallion Pancakes weren't as exciting as anticipated; I would recommend Shandong's instead. The noodles were a hit: they were thick, well-seasoned and made with delicious pork to boot. The Crispy Duck was also interesting. I'd only ever had Peking Duck, which is roasted, sliced, and eaten in a thin rice wrapper with scallions and a hearty sauce. I'm not sure how this duck was prepared, but it was served with the bone in, making it easier to dip into the accompanying sauce. 

Spices 3 is great for when you're in the mood for Chinese food, especially spicy dishes you won't find elsewhere, in a relaxed environment where you can catch up with friends or family without feeling rushed or overwhelmed. Next time I stop by, I'll definitely order the green beans as well as a noodle and rice dish. If I'm brave enough, I may try the Explosive Tofu, which I remember being very tasty the first time I visited.

Spices 3
370 12th St., Oakland, CA 94607
Open: Monday - Friday 11am - 9pm, Saturday - Sunday 11:30am - 9pm

Check out more posts from Oakland.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...