Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Work It, Bloggers: Adrienne and Jackie of StyleBFFs
























Adrienne (brunette) is wearing Uniqlo pants and jacket, Gap turtleneck, Jigsaw London vest, Lauren Manoogian shrug, Jonak shoes, Liquid Metal bracelets, Marc by Marc Jacobs sunglasses, and Zatchels bag. Jackie (blonde) is wearing a Lush brown tunic, The Podolls white tunic, J.Crew cardigan, jacket from Nordstrom, Steve Madden shoes, Dior sunglasses, Marc by Marc Jacobs bag, vintage earrings, Waffles & Honey x-shaped ring, vintage ring on her index finger, and rings by Legion on her middle finger.

How did you get into blogging?
Jackie Groffman: I started my own blog while I was majoring in Feminist Studies at UC Santa Cruz. I was in a creative environment, but not necessarily a fashionable one. While most of my peers were doing things like orchestrating drum circles and having Tchaikovsky flash-mobs in the Porter quad (which were all awesome), I found my sense of expression to really come through in my clothes. I decided to blog as a way to document the outfits I put together, and connect other people like myself. 

Adrienne Kwok-Lundy: Jackie got me into blogging! I was living the post-college life, and it became a great way to utilize my time as I searched for a job. I really had a hard time keeping up with my individual blog though-- something was definitely missing-- so I reached out to Jackie about collaborating together. And that's how StyleBFFs was formed! 

How would you describe your style?
JG: This is always the hardest question to answer! My style is really an extension of who I am, and that's really it. What I love most about personal style is that the term perfectly describes what it is: it's personal. Some of my clothes and accessories once belonged to my mom and my grandmothers, which really speaks to my history, and even who I hope to become. I could label my style as "quirky" or "trendy" or "contemporary", etc. but what does that really mean? I feel like we are in an era that is starting to value the individual over mass-trends--isn't that why we all of a sudden hate the "basic bitch"?? Maybe I'm digressing, but I wear what I feel, and I always have fun doing just that. 

AKL: Totally agree with Jackie on this-- it's a hard question! I would like to think I'm a touch of classic with some quirks. I'm a lover of vintage elements, but also love a clean contemporary look. 

Do you have any style icons or inspirations?
JG: There are definitely tons of people who I find iconic. If we're going old-school, I have to go with the obvious: Kate Moss. Others who inspire me are Leandra Medine (Man Repeller), Leaf Greener, Page Ruth, Petite Meller, and Gilda Ambrosio. I also find my friends and fellow bloggers really inspiring. Some of my faves are Alex Bigley of SF Shop Girl, and Carlina of Allergic to Vanilla. As for Adrienne, I really can't think of a better blog partner. My StyleBFF, and real-life best friend. She challenges me, inspires me, and forever makes me laugh until I think I'm going to pee myself. 

AKL: One of my ultimate style icons is a 1960's Ann-Margret. I love anything 1960's when it comes to fashion. As far as modern celebs, Sienna Miller, Diane Kruger, and Jenna Lyons are my girls. Love my SF blogger gals like Carlina and Alex, and obviously Jackie! Duh. I get really inspired by European bloggers as well. My favorite style queen is Daniella Robins of Lellavictoria.

What do you like the most about blogging?
JG: I really like taking the time to do something creative, and building a community around that. Our blog is not editorial at all, and the outfits we showcase are really whatever we happened to put on before walking out the door. We lead very normal lives, so I appreciate getting to share that with others. We've met some great friends along the way too. 

AKL: I love fashion and being creative. It's a great way show your own personal expression. It's also been a wonderful way to make connections and relationships with other bloggers who feel the same way about fashion as we do!

What have you learned from blogging?
JG: I've learned that nothing beats being yourself. I know that sounds so cheesy, but it's true. When I started my first blog in college, I was really obsessed with becoming popular. This translated into me wearing things that I felt would garner a certain level of attention, even if they didn't necessarily reflect who I am. Once Adrienne and I started StyleBFFs, I was able to understand that the good-stuff is always genuine. You can't fake style with trends. 

AKL: Hmm... that's a good question. I've learnt a lot about my own sense of style like Jackie mentioned. I also learnt to never be afraid to put yourself out there. I had a few reservations about blogging--is this totally narcissistic? Just pictures of me and my outfits?? Now though, I am so happy that I decided to do it. It's so much more than just some outfit snapshots.

What benefits and challenges have you experienced blogging with your best friend?
JG: We're big believers in the fact that we have to agree with each other 100% before making any moves with our blog. Whether the decisions are about our site, or collaborating with a company or individual, we both have to totally be on-board with things. While it can sometimes be challenging to find that balance, the benefits to blogging together are pretty much endless. We take photos for one another, we brainstorm ideas for content together, we read each other drafts of our posts. Adrienne has been an integral part of the experience of finding my voice with writing, and my sense of personal style. Another obvious plus is that it is a lot simpler to keep the blog's content fresh when there are multiple contributors. ;P

AKL: I think Jackie summed this one up pretty well. ;)

What do you do when you’re not blogging?
JG: I work for a local fashion label, so I really do live and breathe clothing. When I'm not at work or blogging, I'm rock climbing, doing yoga, cooking, or trying out new restaurants in SF. I'm a total homebody, so my nights are often spent binge watching HBO GO/Hulu/Netflix with my cat on my lap. If I'm not currently addicted to a show, I'm having a solo-dance party to my collection of vintage records. I also online shop a lot (read: too much).

AKL: In my spare time, I like to go on hikes, make delicious food, and obviously shop! I previously worked as a store manager of a British label for the last few years; however, in the beginning of 2015 I wanted a change, so I quit my job and traveled for 6 weeks in Europe! Currently, I am on the hunt for a new job in the fashion industry. (Wow that sounded like a plug, LOL.)

What can we expect to see from you in the future?
JG: World domination. Just kidding, I would love to start my own fashion-related company-- maybe even a start-up since I am a Bay Area baby. For the moment though, I'm just going to keep doing my own thing, and loving every second of it. 

AKL: I think the future holds a lot for StyleBFFs. We have really grown a lot the last few years and I can't wait to see what we do next. 

You can follow Adrienne and Jackie on their blog, joint Instagram, Adrienne's Instagram, Jackie's Instagram, Adrienne's Twitter, Jackie's TwitterPinterest, and Facebook.

Check out more posts from Work It, Bloggers and San Francisco.

Follow Work It, Berk:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...