Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Eat in Portland: Blue Star Donuts


Chocolate Almond Ganache donut

While planning my trip to Portland, I added two donut shops to my list: Voodoo Doughnuts and Blue Star Donuts. With four locations throughout the city, Blue Star Donuts offers a tantalizing selection of brioche-style raised donuts. Some of the flavors include Blueberry Bourbon Basil, Chocolate Almond Ganache, and Cointreau Crème Brûlée.

My mom and I tried the Chocolate Almond Ganache, which was as good as it looks. Like Voodoo Doughnuts, Blue Star is not messing around with the raised donut. Their dough is made from a classic brioche recipe daily. The chocolate ganache is nothing short of divine. In all, this donut was incredible. If I find myself in Portland in the future, I'll make sure to try their Blueberry Bourbon Basil, an alliterative and gustatorial winner. (The latter adjective has been confirmed by the lady behind butter, sugar, flowers after all.)

Their Southeast Portland shop is a sleek take on the classic coffee and donut shop. (Did I mention they serve Stumptown Coffee? They serve Stumptown Coffee.) They've got wall-to-wall counter seating (my favorite) and an ideal location on SE Hawthorne Boulevard.

According to Jenn Harris, my favorite food writer over at the Los Angeles Times, they're opening up a location in Venice this summer. They've also got a spot in Tokyo. Sounds like the beginning of world domination to me.

If you've stopped by Blue Star Donuts, what did you try?

Blue Star Donuts
3549 SE Hawthorne Blvd., Portland, OR 97214
Open: Daily 8am - sold out

Check out more posts from Portland.

Follow Work It, Berk:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...