Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Eat in Honolulu: South Shore Grill




Sautéed Cajun Shrimp plate lunch, served with hapa rice, slaw, and tuna-mac salad


Chicken Breast plate lunch with soy-sesame sauce, served with hapa rice, slaw, and tuna-mac salad

After another long walk in the humid heat in late September, my dining companion and I took a breather at South Shore Grill, a casual restaurant on Monsarrat and Kanaina in the Diamond Head neighborhood of Honolulu. This family-owned restaurant is known for their fish tacos, plate lunches, and sandwiches. After watching an episode of Street Food: USA set in Oahu before our trip, we knew we wanted to try plate lunches during our stay in Hawaii. They're made of a main protein, with rice and macaroni ("mac") salad on the side. 

I ordered a plate lunch with Sautéed Cajun Shrimp, while his came with Chicken Breast made with a soy-sesame sauce. Both were served with hapa rice, slaw, and tuna-mac salad, their versions of the traditional sides. Everything was incredibly good. Although we were referred to this place by a friend, we were still surprised with how spot-on everything was. I not only accomplished my goal of having a plate lunch, I also got to try the garlicky shrimp that is popular in Oahu, particularly on the North Shore. Theirs was flavorful as was every other side on the plate. My dining companion enjoyed his chicken plate as well.

If I'm ever back in the area, I will definitely stop by South Shore Grill for another amazing plate lunch.

South Shore Grill
3114 Monsarrat Ave., Honolulu, HI 96815
Open: Monday - Tuesday & Thursday - Saturday 10:30am - 8:30pm, Wednesday 4 - 8:30pm, Sunday 12 - 8:30pm

Check out more posts from Honolulu.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...