Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Eat in Berkeley: Tara's Organic Ice Cream

Basil and lavender ice cream in a sesame cone

If you've been following the blog since last December or know me at all, you know that I have a soft, mostly frozen, and slightly melting spot for ice cream. Whether it's made with rose water, salt & pepper, or has a bit of a kick, I'm all over it. (I guess you could say I'm all over it "like a fat kid loves cake," but to be honest, cake is not my thing. Ice cream cake, however, is another issue entirely.) It would not be far-fetched for me to call Tara's the epitome of what I want in a scoop. When I'm in Los Angeles, Tara's is the ice cream experience I try to replicate. (If you're on Melrose, Neveux Artisan Creamery is pretty much tied.)

Located on College at Alcatraz in the Claremont-Rockridge part of Berkeley, Tara's has over twenty flavors of gourmet ice cream and sorbet that might cause involuntary salivation. The two I always look for and recommend are the lavender and the basil. If you're familiar with the world of bougie ice cream, you've probably experienced the delicate creaminess that is lavender. Tara's is that and then some. The basil is on a whole nother level. At first taste, you're confused and almost intoxicated by its intensity. Then you realize, "Oh my, this is savory," and most likely, "Wow, I could really go for some pasta right about now." You wonder, "Is this what ice cream is supposed to be?" After the bite is complete, Truth has revealed itself: "Yes."

It would be criminal if I didn't mention their cones. Tara's has a stock of fresh waffle cones made in-house that comes in two flavors, original and sesame. I would strongly urge you to try the latter. It's just the right amount of crispy and it truly tops off your ice cream experience.

Tara's also has a smaller Oakland location, which has about ten flavors and is equally as satisfying, in the heart of Temescal on Telegraph at 48th.

Live long and creamy.

More photos? Say yes.

Tara's Organic Ice Cream

Website | Facebook | TwitterYelp
3173 College Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
Open: Daily 12 - 10

Check out more posts from Berkeley.


Pssst! Have you heard our June Playlist?


Follow Work It, Berk:

Subscribe BlogLovin' | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Tumblr | Twitter



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...